REVELATION 4:2-4: “At once I was in the Spirit, and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne. And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald. Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads.” (ESV)
OBSERVATION: What do you think of when you see the symbol of a rainbow? The rainbow is just one of the many symbols that Satan has hijacked and tried to mar its’ true meaning in order to keep people from seeing the glory and goodness of the Lord. They symbol of the rainbow now has become a symbol of defiance to the revelation of Scripture. It has become the marching flag for those who oppose the Biblical revelation of human sexuality and the sanctity of marriage. It has become a symbol that divides rather than unites. What is the symbol of the rainbow really supposed to convey?
In Genesis, following the judgment of the wickedness of man through the great flood, God gave Noah and all mankind the symbol of the rainbow as His covenant of faithfulness in providing for both the just and the unjust.
- “Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.” Genesis 9:8-17 ESV
In Revelation the rainbow surrounds the Throne of God. It symbolizes the Holiness of the Lord and the Majesty of His Throne. The rainbow is the proclamation of His Holiness and His Faithfulness. Surrounding the Throne are the four living creatures and the 24 Elders who proclaim:
- “And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!” And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.” Revelation 4:8-11 ESV
The enemy may be successful in marring the symbol of the rainbow here on earth, but he will never succeed in marring the symbol of the rainbow before God’s Throne. There is coming a Day when Satan will be completely defeated and the Glory and Majesty of the Lord will be seen and understood by all.
- “And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.” Revelation 19:19-21 ESV
- “And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.” Revelation 20:10 ESV
And there is coming a Glorious Day when God will bring restoration to all HIs people. The rainbow will once again be understood, and we will all see the Glory of His Throne and the Glory of His Kingdom!
- “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.” Revelation 21:1-7 ESV
Until then, let us reach out to everyone with His Love and the truth of the Gospel. Let us hold forth the truth and call all men and women to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Let the words of Jesus rush to our hearts when we meet those who use God’s symbol of the rainbow in a way that opposes its’ true meaning.
- “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.” Matthew 5:43-45 ESV
Lord, open the eyes of this generation to turn away from sin and toward Your Throne!
In Jesus Name!