GENESIS 1:24-27: “Then God said, “Let the earth produce every sort of animal, each producing offspring of the same kind—livestock, small animals that scurry along the ground, and wild animals.” And that is what happened. God made all sorts of wild animals, livestock, and small animals, each able to produce offspring of the same kind. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.” So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.” CSB
OBSERVATIONS: What is the Biblical view of gender identity? Are there two genders or as many as 32 like many are now purporting? Does God’s Word change or are we simply living in culture that has run off course?
In this day of tolerance one is viewed as hateful if they stand in opposition to the conventional wisdom of the day. Tolerance has become a one way street. One is to be tolerant of any viewpoint that opposes Biblical values and oppose anyone who stands for what is viewed as archaic and hateful – traditional Biblical values.
In just a half a century our culture has taken a sharp turn toward the cliff. We are racing toward a dramatic fall and no one seems to notice. The current viewpoints of gender identity are not based on science or fact. They are merely based on feeling. They are not reflected in the natural world around us. They are only held by humans who are intent to create their own reality.
The Bible is clear. The natural world stands as its witness. And, the procreation of species is the scientific fact that settles the argument. God created two genders – male and female. These were created in God’s plan and for the procreation of the species. There are animals that contain both male and female organs. They are called hermaphrodites, and most of these are among invertebrates. Yet, when they mate, one becomes the male and the other the female.
- “And that is what happened. God made all sorts of wild animals, livestock, and small animals, each able to produce offspring of the same kind. And God saw that it was good.”
This minute anomaly cannot be applied to human beings. And, it certainty cannot be used as a basis for the current race towards redefining gender identity. The current cultural confusion on gender identity is based on feelings rather than medical science. Medical science confirms the Biblical account. In an article from Medical News Today (Sex and Gender, what is the difference), it states:
- “Genetic factors define the sex of an individual. Women have 46 chromosomes including two Xs and men have 46 including an X and a Y. The Y chromosome is dominant and carries the signal for the embryo to begin growing testes.”
Yet, in this same article they also make the following confusing statement:
- “In general terms, “sex” refers to the biological differences between males and females, such as the genitalia and genetic differences. Gender” is more difficult to define, but it can refer to the role of a male or female in society, known as a gender role, or an individual’s concept of themselves, or gender identity. Sometimes, a person’s genetically assigned sex does not line up with their gender identity. These individuals might refer to themselves as transgender, non-binary, or gender-nonconforming.”
How does the Bible respond to this?
- “Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.” So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”
The Bible upholds the scientific fact. God created mankind – male and female. They were created with a definite purpose and role in this world. It was to procreate and manage all of God’s creation. The creation of mankind in two definitive genders, male and female, is also said to be an expression of God’s image. There is no confusion in the Biblical record.
So where is the confusion coming from? I believe it began in the early 1960’s when traditional sexual norms were challenged and the initial attacks against the institution of marriage began to become accepted and embraced. The lowering of the standard of morality began to take its toll on the family unit and new norms of morality began to be played out in entertainment and then in the public square. And, finally, when the institution of marriage as the union of one man and one woman was abandoned, all hell broke loose.
There is a Creator God and there is a Satan. Satan is opposed to everything and everyone who bears the image of the Creator. God instituted marriage between one man and one woman. The New Testament calls marriage a picture of the relationship between Jesus Christ and His Church. So, the enemy has continually tried to destroy this holy institution. God also created mankind in His image, male and female. Now the enemy is trying to destroy the image of God in every man and woman living. And, what better way to do this then to push the current lie of gender identity.
Let’s be honest. No matter how much a man may think he is a woman, he cannot bear a child. And, no matter how much a woman may think she is a man, she cannot begin the cycle of life. It still takes one man and one woman to conceive and procreate the species. This is God’s order. It is a scientific fact. It is the natural order of all things.
Why am I taking the time to write about this? Is it because I am homophobic or hate the transgender community? Am I a bigot or am I broken for the lost who are losing their way from the very Creator who made them in His image? It is the latter. My heart is broken daily for those who are finding themselves living in a state of confusion and discontent. God does not make mistakes. He created each of us in His image, male and female He created us. And, He created us beautiful in His sight!
- “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!” Psalms 139:13-17 NLT
It is love that motivates me to shine the light on this confusion. It is love that motivates me to call believers to stand up for God’s truth. And, it is love that motivates me to call all those who find themselves confused about their gender to return to the God who created them, just as they are, and to find the wonderful purpose He has for their life.
Jesus died on the cross for our sins so that we could be restored to a loving relationship with our Heavenly Creator. When we come to the Father, in Jesus Name, when we confess our sins and ask Jesus to be our Lord and Savior, we become a child of God. We are restored to our heavenly calling and our creative purpose. And, we are filled with the Holy Spirit who will guide us into all truth. It is this truth that will set us free!
Lord, I pray for all those who have been trapped with the lie of gender identity confusion. I pray that You would call them to Your heart in love, restore them in relationship to You through Jesus Christ, and begin to restore in them the wonderful image in which they were created. May the church stand in both love and truth as they lead the way to the pathway of healing and restoration.
In Jesus Name!