II PETER 1:20-21: “Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.” NLT
OBSERVATION: Do you believe that the Bible is God’s Word or that it is merely a book of religious rules and practices that were written by men? Is the Bible divinely inspired or just the creation of men who wanted to deceive the multitudes? Can I trust the Bible as God’s definitive word for His creation?
I want to share with you three simple reasons that I trust the Bible. I trust it as God’s definitive revelation of truth for His creation. I trust it as divinely inspired by God and not merely the creation of men who wrote down myths and legends. And, I trust it because it has changed my life and continues to do so as I meditate upon its truth each and every day of my life!
I love Peter’s exhortation in his second epistle. Doubt had already begun to spring up in the new believers. Spurious letters to the churches had already started to circulate and cause confusion. Peter reminds them of the first reason I trust the Bible. The Bible was not a creation of man’s imagination. It was the divinely inspired writings of eyewitnesses of God working in history and in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ!
- “For we were not making up clever stories when we told you about the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We saw his majestic splendor with our own eyes”. 2 Peter 1:16 NLT
- “Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.” 2 Peter 1:20-21 NLT
Some may object to using Scripture to prove its own veracity. Yet, the historical record confirms these verses. Each book of the Bible was written by eyewitnesses of God’s glory. The Old Testament was written by prophets who were moved by the hand of God. It accurately recorded God’s active role in the history of mankind. The New Testament was written by eyewitnesses of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. They were so convicted by what they saw that they joyfully were martyred for their faith.
The Bible is a compilation of 66 books, written over a span of 4000 years, in different countries, cultures, and languages, by over 60 different authors. And, yet – the Bible is in complete harmony in its revelation of God and His plan of salvation for mankind.
There is no book in human history that can make this claim. This alone speaks of the divine origin of this remarkable revelation of truth!
The second reason I trust the Bible is that it is profitable! As God’s Word it holds the truths and keys to life. It reveals the nature of God and the call of man. Its principles have withstood the test of time and stand as relevant and true as when they were first written. The Bible is the living, powerful, and active Word from God’s heart. It is inspired and profitable in every way!
- “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NLT
The third reason that I trust the Bible is because it has changed my life. I was given a Bible when I was confirmed at the age of 13. I still have this Bible and cherish it very much. However, for years I would pick it up and try to read it. It seemed just like words on a page that I could not understand. When I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ something remarkable happened. The book that seemed just like words on a page suddenly became alive! As I poured over its pages the truths that I discovered began to change my life!
- “By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.” 2 Peter 1:3-4 NLT
The anger that I could not escape was washed away as I grew in the Word of God. The ability to walk in peace and overcome the temptations I faced grew as I daily abided in God’s Word. I found that His great and precious promises were transforming my life. They changed me from the inside out. I learned about the true nature of God, the power of His grace, the wonder of His forgiveness, and the assurance of His unfailing love and faithfulness. No other book could produce this profound change. Only the living and abiding Word of God could do this!
- “For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.” Hebrews 4:12-13 NLT
I trust the Bible because it…
- Is divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit!
- It is profitable for all of life!
- It dramatically changed my life!
Lord, I pray for anyone reading these words, who is questioning the truth and veracity of the Bible. I pray that You will open their spiritual eyes and their rational minds to discover that they too can trust the Bible. It truly is the living, active, divinely inspired, life-changing, profitable word from our Creator for every aspect of life.
I pray that you too will trust the Bible as God’s Word!
In Jesus Name!