REVELATION 1:4-8: “John, to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” NKJV
OBSERVATION: What country is the greatest superpower in the world today? What ruler holds the greatest influence over the affairs of man? What government will outlast all governments on the face of the earth?
WHO IS REALLY IN CHARGE?
It may surprise you. It is not the United States, Russia, or China. It is not the combined influence of the United Nations. No one ruler holds this power in his or her hand. There is only one person who rules over the affairs of man. This person is Jesus Christ!
- “Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth.”
Many misunderstand the life and ministry of our Lord Jesus Christ. The statement above seems like a misnomer. If Jesus Christ is ruler over the kings of the earth, then why is the world is such a mess? Why doesn’t Jesus simply step in and straighten out this confused and broken world?
There are two distinct purposes for the coming of Jesus Christ into the world. Jesus came the first time, as a humble human, born of the seed of God and the seed of woman. He lived his life as a mere carpenter until the appointed time the Father had determined for His ministry to begin. He revealed the will of the Father. He taught the people and worked miracles among them as proof of His divinity. And, He took our place on the cross to die for our sins so that we could be restored into a right relationship with God the Father.
- “To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.”
Jesus ascended into heaven after His resurrection from the dead to sit at the right hand of the Father. He rules from this position of authority and power until the appointed time of His return. As we await His return, He has commissioned us to fulfill the purpose of His first coming. He has called us to be His kings and priests in this world. We are called to proclaim the Gospel, the good news of salvation through His blood, to all nations. All of HIs authority is invested in this endeavor. And, it is the fulfillment of this call that must take place before His return.
- “And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.” Matthew 28:18-20 NKJV
Note the phrase – until the end of the age. This brings us to the purpose of Jesus’ second coming. As the world goes on, as people look to rulers and governments to bring forth a better world, there is only one who will be able to accomplish this – Jesus Christ!
- “He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
Rest assured – JESUS IS IN CHARGE!
He is ruling over the affairs of man. He is working through His church to complete the mission of His first coming. He is extending His grace and mercy to a rebellious world so that all who will – might be saved. And, one day, He will return, in the same way, that He ascended into heaven. It will not be from a lowly manger that He will appear but in the glory and power of the heavens. Then the entire world will know that He rules over the kings of the earth. The Jewish nation will embrace Jesus as their Messiah. And, Jesus will set up His Kingdom in Jerusalem and reign on this earth for 1000 years.
To some, this sounds like the writings of religious myth. Almost the entire nation of Israel missed His first coming, as did the world around Him. There will be scoffers and doubters until that final day. Yet, for those who are called, chosen, and redeemed, these are words of certainty and hope. Just like Jesus came over 2000 years ago to redeem mankind from their sin, so He will come again to redeem the world and establish His eternal kingdom!
- “For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us.” Romans 8:19-23 NLT
Jesus is no longer a lowly babe in the manger. He is no longer a carpenter from Nazareth. He is no longer the suffering servant who hung on the cross for our sins. He is the risen, glorified, and living King of kings and Lord of lords. All power and authority are in His hand. Make no doubt about it…
JESUS CHRIST IS IN CHARGE!
When I read these words, as a son of God, I am encouraged. And, as the world continues its course of brokenness and confusion, I am looking upward and awaiting that glorious day!
Where are you looking?
In Jesus Name!