HEBREWS 1:8-9: “But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.” NKJV
OBSERVATION: Who is Jesus? This is a question that has been debated for centuries. It was debated when Jesus walked the earth. Jesus, Himself, even asked His disciples this question.
- “When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Matthew 16:13-15 NKJV
The answer to this question will determine one’s eternity. The answer to this question will also determine one’s spiritual health and growth. Josh McDowell, in his book “Evidence That Demands A Verdict,” notes that Jesus was either a liar, a lunatic, or He was who He said He was, and who the Bible proclaimed Him to be. Jesus was not a liar. Jesus was not a lunatic.
JESUS WAS THE WORD OF GOD, MADE FLESH, THE MESSIAH, THE SON OF GOD!
Yet, there is one person that many do not ask regarding this question. Who is that? It is the Father. The Father’s testimony is what the writer of Hebrews records in the first chapter of this epistle. It is not the opinion of the disciples. It is not the opinion of God’s created angels. It is not even the opinion of the prophets.
THIS IS THE DECLARATION OF ALMIGHTY GOD!
- “But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
The Bible is clear, there is only one God. The Bible does not use the word trinity. This is a word that the church uses to declare what the Bible teaches. The word trinity means – three in one. The Bible declares that the Father is God. The Bible and the Father declare that the Son is God. And, the Bible, the Father, and the Son declare that the Spirit is God. Yet, we are to worship only one God – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!
The Father addresses the Son – “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever…”. Philippians, chapter two, shows us that Jesus laid down all of His power and glory as the Eternal Word of God to become the Son of God. Yet, He was still God. God in human flesh. Emmanuel – God among us. Jesus was not created. He existed from all time. He existed before becoming the Son of God. And, He will exist with the Father and the Son – forever and ever!
Why is this so important? The obvious answer is that it validates all that Jesus has spoken. When He declared – “I am the way, the truth, and the life..,” we must understand that there is no other way to have a right relationship with God, and to enter eternal life, then by faith in Jesus Christ alone. Jesus is the only means of salvation. If we dismiss Jesus as God, there remains no more provision for eternal life.
Yet, there is one more important reason why this truth is so important and foundational. In the opening verses of Hebrews we read,
- “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.” Hebrews 1:1-4 NKJV
JESUS CHRIST IS THE FINAL REVELATION OF GOD TO THE WORLD!
God spoke in times past by the prophets. Yet, in these last days, He has spoken to us by His Son. Jesus has been raised from the dead and glorified, with the glory He emptied Himself of when He came to this world. He came to reveal the Father. He came to restore all righteousness. His word, His testimony, and the truth of His life are God’s final revelation to this world!
There are many today who are chasing the latest wind of doctrine that is blowing through the church. They have become bored with simply seeking Jesus. They have become enamored with foolish doctrines that never produce true godliness. When they tire of these they race off to the next new thing. Having itching ears they seek speakers and teachers who will tell them what they want to hear. They forget this important truth,
GOD HAS IN THESE LAST DAYS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON!
Paul, when pondering on the nature of Jesus Christ, wrote these words.
- “…That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:17-19 NKJV
If the love of Christ is our goal, and, if the love of Christ surpasses our limited human knowledge, and, if the love of Christ is the fullness of God – then how can we ever become bored in our walk with Jesus? How can we allow ourselves to be tossed to and fro by various winds of doctrine? How can we ignore God’s final declaration?!
JESUS CHRIST IS THE FINAL REVELATION OF GOD TO THE WORLD!
CHURCH – IT IS TIME TO FALL IN LOVE WITH JESUS ONCE AGAIN!
- “Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” Revelation 2:4-7 NKJV
In Jesus Name!