DEUTERONOMY 3:21-22: “And I commanded Joshua at that time, saying, ‘Your eyes have seen all that the LORD your God has done to these two kings; so will the LORD do to all the kingdoms through which you pass. You must not fear them, for the LORD your God Himself fights for you.’” (NKJV)
OBSERVATION: Fear paralyzes. Faith energizes. We live in a day of fear as the world faces an invisible enemy – the corona-virus. It is an enemy that we cannot see until it strikes. All of the world’s leaders, scientists, and doctors are gathered together to fight it.
It is a giant in our land!
How is the believer to respond to such a giant? Is faith and hope an anchor only for our eternal destiny, or is it an anchor also for our daily living? Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Faith produces hope, and hope is the anchor of our souls!
- “But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,”. I Thessalonians 5:8-9 NKJV
- “This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil,”. Hebrews 6:19 NKJV
Where do we find this hope in such uncertain times? It is found in His Presence behind the veil. It is found in our invitation to come boldly before the throne of His grace to find mercy and help in our time of need. It is found in the assurance of His promises in the Word of God. It is found in the quiet place of prayer. It is found in the tender moments of worship.
When we take time to enter into His presence, we, like Joshua, realize,
- “You must not fear them, for the LORD your God Himself fights for you.”
How will we make it through this health crisis? By grace through faith – God Himself fights for you! How will we make it financially with the crash of the stock market and the screeching halt of business? By grace through faith – God Himself fights for you! How will we overcome the giant of fear that is crippling our land? By grace through faith – God Himself fights for you!
This may seem like foolishness to the world, but it is the believers strong tower of refuge. If all we do is watch the 24/7 cycle of news we will be conquered by fear. We need to take time to enter into His presence. At this moment we may not be able to gather together in churches due to the current health crisis, but we can gather together in prayer around His throne! There is no distance in prayer!
When Jesus hung on the cross He cried – “It is finished!” When He cried this, the veil of the Temple was torn right down the middle. It signified that the separation of man from God was ended through the blood of Jesus Christ. No longer was man alone. Through faith in Jesus Christ, through the shedding of His blood, man was invited into the very presence of Almighty God. And, as a seal of this promise, when a person places their faith in Jesus Christ, they are filled with the Holy Spirit.
The Spirit of God bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. As children of God we are invited to walk in intimate communion with the Father through Jesus Christ our Lord. And, we have the blessed assurance that Jesus is always standing before the Father on our behalf as our faithful and merciful HIgh Priest. This gives us faith and hope in these uncertain times!
- “Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:14-16 NKJV
How will we get through this crisis?
By grace through faith – God Himself fights for you!
Lord, this morning I choose to come boldly to Your throne of grace. Jesus, I thank You that my life is completely in Your hands. Pour out Your mercy and grace to all who call upon Your name in this time of need. Give us grace to walk in faith and to abide in hope!. Jesus, we confess that You alone are our Savior, Baptizer in the Holy Spirit, Healer, and soon coming King! Let us hear these words moment by moment,
- “You must not fear them, for the LORD your God Himself fights for you.’”
In Jesus Name!