MARK 8:38: “For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” NKJV
OBSERVATION: Is the Bible negotiable? Can we accept the parts of the Bible that we like while dismissing the parts we feel uncomfortable with? Does the meaning of God’s Word change with the culture or does it remain constant?
All of these questions are addressed in this one short verse. The power of this verse is found in the complete revelation of Scripture.
1. God and His Word never changes: Malachi 3:6; Hebrews 13:8
2. Jesus is God, the Eternal Word (Logos): John 1:1
3. Jesus is God in Human Flesh: John 1:14
4. Jesus came to reveal the truth: John 18:37
5. Jesus rose from the dead validating His Word: Romans 1:3-4
6. Jesus warned us not to alter His Word: Deuteronomy 4:2; Revelation 22:18-19
Therefore, what can we conclude from this verse? Either God exists or He doesn’t. Either Jesus is God or He isn’t. Either Jesus Word is true or it isn’t. Either God and His Word never changes or it does? There is no middle ground!
If you believe that Jesus is the Logos (Eternal Word) of God, God in human flesh, the unchanging revelation of the Father, the risen Lord, the one who is coming again to fulfill His Word – then you cannot pick and choose selective truths from the Bible while dismissing others. God is The Word and The Word is God. It is the express declaration and revelation of His person and nature to His Creation. As God never changes – so His Word never changes!
As we witness a continual falling away from the truth of God’s Word in our culture, and worse yet in many churches, Jesus’ words speak like a modern headline to our fallen world.
- “For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:38
What is at stake? Everything! If we do not present the true Jesus to a hurting and fallen world, there can be no salvation. To be a disciple of Jesus we are called to forsake everything and follow Him and His Word. We are not called to walk partially in the world and partially in the kingdom. We are called to surrender all. And surrendering all is the difference between life and death!
Listen to Jesus’ words spoken as a prelude to His call to honor His Word.
- “When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” Mark 8:34-37 NKJV
Some may view this as narrow minded and ignorant. Jesus views this as life or death. I view it as my personal call of discipleship.
I came to Jesus because I realized that I was a sinner who needed a Savior. I was totally unable to deal with my sin and its consequences. Jesus saved me, changed me, and filled me with His Holy Spirit. He did not do this because of anything I did. He did this out of His great mercy and love. And, it is this same great mercy and love that gives me the grace to hold firmly onto His Word. As I do, I grow in the revelation of His truth, and His truth continually sets me free!
- “Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32 NKJV
Lord, this morning, I affirm that Your Word is true! Grant me the grace to abide in Your Word, believe Your Word, proclaim Your Word, and stand unashamed before the world as a testimony for Your Word. My desire is to be found faithful until they day of Your return.
In Jesus Name!