PSALM 32:5-11: “Then I admitted my sin to you. I didn’t cover up the wrong I had done. I said, “I will admit my lawless acts to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah
Let everyone who is godly pray to you while they can still look to you. When troubles come like a flood, they certainly won’t reach those who are godly. You are my hiding place. You will keep me safe from trouble. You will surround me with songs sung by those who praise you because you save your people. Selah I will guide you and teach you the way you should go. I will give you good advice and watch over you. Don’t be like the horse or the mule. They can’t understand anything. They have to be controlled by bits and bridles. If they aren’t, they won’t come to you. Sinful people have all kinds of trouble. But the Lord’s faithful love is all around those who trust in him. Be glad because of what the Lord has done for you. Be joyful, you who do what is right! Sing, all of you whose hearts are honest!” (NIRV)
OBSERVATION: What should I do after I am forgiven? Psalm 32 gives us wonderful direction and counsel from the anointed pen of David. The Psalm begins with these words,
- “Blessed is the one whose lawless acts are forgiven. His sins have been taken away. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord never counts against him. He doesn’t want to cheat anyone.” Psalm 32:1-2 NIRV
David then recalls the misery he experienced when he did not deal with his sin.
- “When I kept silent about my sin, my body became weak because I groaned all day long. Day and night your heavy hand punished me. I became weaker and weaker as I do in the heat of summer. Selah”. Psalm 32:3-4 NIRV
David runs to the Lord, admits and confesses his sin, and receives the wonderful forgiveness and cleansing of the Lord. This same provision is promised to all who come to Jesus Christ with the same contrite heart.
- “But God is faithful and fair. If we admit that we have sinned, he will forgive us our sins. He will forgive every wrong thing we have done. He will make us pure.” 1 John 1:9 NIRV
Once we are cleansed – what do we do? This is very important if we are to walk in victory from this moment forward.
From verses 6 to 11 we learn the proper response of the cleansed heart.
- We are to continue in the place of prayer. (“…pray without ceasing…”)
- We are to stay close to the Lord by abiding in His Word. (“…abide in My Word, and let the Word abide in you…”)
- We are to surrender our hearts to the Lord in worship. (“…humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God…”)
- We are to humbly receive the counsel and direction of the Holy Spirit. (“…today if you hear His voice…”)
- We are to willingly and immediately obey God’s Word. (“…but be doers of the Word…”)
- We are to trust in the Lord’s faithful and abiding love. (“…what can separate us from the love of God…)
- We are to walk in the joy of the Lord, and in the power of praise! (“…in everything give thanks…”)
- We are to cultivate integrity of the heart through God’s grace! (“…let your yes be yes, and your no, no…”)
Father, I thank You for the wonderful provision of forgiveness and cleansing You provide through Jesus Christ my Lord. Help me to never view this as a license to walk carelessly, thereby presuming upon Your grace. Help me to always be quick to admit my sin, confess my sin, and then walk in the provision of cleansing and grace that You provide. Remind me, moment by moment, that You have provided both my forgiveness, and the pathway for my continual victory, through Jesus Christ my Lord!
In Jesus Name!