PSALMS 149:6-9: “Let the high praises of God be in their throats and two-edged swords in their hands to take vengeance on the nations, to punish the people of the world, to put their kings in chains and their leaders in iron shackles, to carry out the judgment that is written against them. This is an honor that belongs to all his godly ones. Hallelujah!” (GW)
OBSERVATION: There is power is praise! This Psalm speaks of the high praises of God being spoken by those who carry a “two-edged” sword to execute judgement against the nations. While, when this was written it no doubt was referring to the armies of Israel that God used in His judgment against ungodly nations, to us it means something quite different.
Jesus came to establish a “New Covenant”. God would no longer work His will through the army of a nation. When one of the disciples tried to use a sword to defend Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus said,
- “…Put your sword away! All who use a sword will be killed by a sword.” (Matthew 26:51-52 GW)
And it was clear that the “New Covenant” called us to a different posture and attitude toward our enemies.
- “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you this: Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you. In this way you show that you are children of your Father in heaven. He makes his sun rise on people whether they are good or evil. He lets rain fall on them whether they are just or unjust.” (Matthew 5:43-45 GW)
So what is the application of this Scripture in the “New Covenant”? The disciple of Jesus Christ is still called to have the high praises of God in their mouth, and a sharp two-edged sword in their hand. Yet, this two-edged sword is not made of steel, it is the Word of God! Praise alone can become misguided and lose its way into emotionalism. However, praise that is anchored in the Word of God is mighty – to the pulling down of spiritual strongholds, and brings victory over the power of sin, the flesh, and the enemy!
- “God’s word is living and active. It is sharper than any two-edged sword and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where joints and marrow meet. God’s word judges a person’s thoughts and intentions.” (Hebrews 4:12 GW)
- “I’ve written to you, children, because you know the Father. I’ve written to you, fathers, because you know Christ, who has existed from the beginning. I’ve written to you, young people, because you are strong and God’s word lives in you. You have won the victory over the evil one.” (1 John 2:14 GW)
- “Of course we are human, but we don’t fight like humans. The weapons we use in our fight are not made by humans. Rather, they are powerful weapons from God. With them we destroy people’s defenses, that is, their arguments and all their intellectual arrogance that oppose the knowledge of God. We take every thought captive so that it is obedient to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:3-5 GW)
- “Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation, power, kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah have come. The one accusing our brothers and sisters, the one accusing them day and night in the presence of our God, has been thrown out. They won the victory over him because of the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony. They didn’t love their life so much that they refused to give it up.” (Revelation 12:10-11 GW)
When a believer learns the power of praise that is anchored in the Word of God they begin to walk in God’s victory – through the Spirit! Strongholds of sin are broken! The lies of the enemy are exposed! The condition of our heart is laid bare! We are both informed and transformed! We begin to walk in His love, forgiveness, and grace – toward all! When we have the high praises of God in our mouth, and God’s Word (sharp two-edged) sword in our hands, we become overcomers filled with His joy, abiding in His peace!
This is true for all believers! The Scripture proclaims – “This is an honor that belongs to all His godly ones. Hallelujah!” Lord, give me the grace to walk in this truth today!
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! May Your Word be established in my heart and life I pray!
In Jesus Name!