I JOHN 3:23: “And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.” NKJV
OBSERVATION: Will I go to heaven? This is a question that many people are ignoring today. It is so easy to get caught up in the present struggle that we forget about the future. We live for the here and now and ignore the reality that one day this life will come to an end. And, then what?
When I was 30 years old, I found myself in between jobs. I had been working for a ministry that was moving its headquarters to Georgia. Living in California, and not feeling the call to leave, I found myself looking for work. I had worked both in ministry and in the grocery industry. The only job that I could find was selling life insurance.
I took on this new responsibility with a desire to succeed. The area that I was focused on was the home market. It entailed cold calling and setting up appointments to do a financial needs review with couples and individuals. Most of the appointments I ended up with were people over the age of 50. And, as a 30-year-old man, my eyes were opened wide. What I found was that more than 95% of those I met with had never considered their retirement or what would happen if they died!
They, like so many of us, we’re living for the moment. It is uncanny how moments turn into days, which turn into months, which turn into years. One day we wake up and 10, 20, 30 years have flown by. If we don’t plan now, what will we do when we face the years when we are forced to retire? More importantly, what will we do when we face the end of our life if we do not plan for our eternity?!
When I was young I thought I was invincible. Death did not seem a reality. I had my whole life ahead of me. And, then, at only 48 years of age – I faced death. My heart began to fail, my aortic valve went into atrophy, and I was being rolled down a cold corridor to face a surgery that could save or end my life.
No one has a guarantee on life. Life is a gift from God. Every breath we take is a gift from God. Life is a gift and death is a certainty. We all live, and we all will die. The question remains – When I die, will I go to heaven?
There is an innate knowing of eternal life in all of us. The will to live is an evidence of this. To die seems unnatural. Deep inside of us, we know that we were created to be eternal. Yet, through disobedience, sin entered the world. Death was the result of sin. We cannot ignore that sin exists. We see it in ourselves and we see it in others. We watch sin being displayed on the 24/7 news cycle each day. We will all have to give an account of our lives when we die. And, this account will determine whether we go to heaven or hell.
This account will not be determined by the amount of good that we have done in comparison to the sin we have committed. If this was the case, we all would be doomed. There is only one thing that we will be asked. There is only one thing that will be weighed in the balance of our eternity. It is – what did I do with Jesus?
- “And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.”
Did I receive Jesus as my Lord and Savior? Did I repent of my sins and confess Jesus as Lord? Did I pick up my cross and follow Jesus? This is the sole determining factor that will decide my eternity. We must remember this important fact – there is only one door into heaven!
- “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.” John 10:9 NKJV
Good works will not do it. Social standing will make no difference. Our political affiliation will be meaningless. Jesus is the door to eternal life. We enter this door by grace through faith. There is no other way. The alternative is a bleak and frightful outcome.
- “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:8 NKJV
How can we be assured that we are going to heaven? First, we have His promise. Second, we have the confirmation of the Holy Spirit working in us.
- “And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.” I John 5:11-13 NKJV
- “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” I John 4:7-8 NKJV
Faith in Jesus Christ is evidenced by a love for God and others. The fruit of the Spirit can be summed up in one word – Love! Those who have believed on the name of the Son of God – they love! This is the commandment of God. This is the assurance of eternal life. This is the only way to get to heaven.
Will you go to heaven? Listen – He is knocking at the door of your heart right now! Faith in Jesus Christ turns the knob and opens the door. And, when you open the door, you will be greeted with His love and forgiveness, and the assurance of eternal life!
- “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” Revelation 3:20 NKJV
In Jesus Name!