LUKE 24:45: “And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.” NKJV
OBSERVATION: There is a difference between information and revelation. The world is filled with information. Yet, there is a dearth of revelation. The Pharisees, Sadducees, and Scribes all were masters of the Scriptures in Jesus’ day. Yet, they too were filled with information but lacked the revelation needed to truly see Jesus.
The greatest gift that we can receive from the Lord is revelation. The word revelation simply means to unveil something. It is not something that cannot be known. It is something that can only be known with assistance. It is like a grand sculpture, that is veiled from the public, and is just waiting for the artist to remove the tarp so all can behold what is behind it.
Following Jesus’ resurrection there were several encounters that Jesus had with his disciples and followers. In each of these encounters we find a common experience. They did not immediately recognize Jesus. It was not until He opened the Word of God to them and revealed Himself that they saw Him as the risen Christ. Such was the experience of the two men on the road to Emmaus when they met Jesus.
- “And they said to one another, “Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?” So they rose up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven and those who were with them gathered together, saying, “The Lord is risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” Luke 24:32-34 NKJV
Then, as the disciples were gathered together, and as Jesus began to give them His final instructions, He opened their understanding to the Scriptures. He revealed the fulfillment of all He had taught them and He promised them that they would receive the indwelling Holy Spirit, the promise of the Father, so that they could walk in this gift of revelation as they fulfilled His call to proclaim the Gospel to the world!
- “Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things. Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.” Luke 24:46-49 NKJV
In the Gospel of John, Jesus elaborated on this gift of revelation through the Holy Spirit.
- “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” John 14:25-26 NKJV
- “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.” John 16:13-15 NKJV
Why is it that there is so little transformation in the life of believers today? It is because there is so much information but so little revelation. We can attend church services, bible studies, go to concerts, and read book after book. However, if we are not abiding in the Spirit of God and receiving His revelation it is nothing but information. Information alone can never bring transformation. Only the Holy Spirit can bring the revelation of God that is needed for true transformation – into the heart of man.
- “And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.”
Lord, this morning I pray for revelation. I pray for an unveiling of Your Word in my heart. I pray that I can see Jesus in every page of Scripture in all of His glory. I pray that my heart will be transformed and that my eyes will be opened to Your will for my life. Lord, open my understanding that I might comprehend the Scriptures.
In Jesus Name!