JOHN 1:1-3: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were created through him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.” CSB
OBSERVATION: Why is the Bible so different than any other book in the world? Why are the truths in its pages so much more than mere philosophical thoughts? Why are people willing to die for the truths it proclaims? The first three verses in the Gospel of John give us the answer.
In the beginning was the Word. The word, or logos in the Greek, is here personified. We find this in many parts of the Bible. In Proverbs wisdom is also personified.
- “I, wisdom, share a home with shrewdness and have knowledge and discretion. To fear the Lord is to hate evil. I hate arrogant pride, evil conduct, and perverse speech. I possess good advice and sound wisdom; I have understanding and strength…I love those who love me, and those who search for me find me. With me are riches and honor, lasting wealth and righteousness.” Proverbs 8:12-14, 17-18 CSB
Many believe the Bible to simply be a book that was written by men. Therefore, they view it as open to a myriad of interpretations and subject to countless errors. However, the Bible is so much more than this. It is the revelation of the God of Creation. It is the Word (Logos) of God communicated to man on written page. It is God Himself speaking to His creation!
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
Yet, like today, mankind did not receive God’s Word. They twisted it, dismissed it, and rejected its truth. They even began to use it in a way God never intended. They used it to establish rules and religious practices that bound their adherents, and excluded those who did not agree with them.
- “Hypocrites! Isaiah prophesied correctly about you when he said: This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. They worship me in vain, teaching as doctrines human commands. ”. Matthew 15:7-9 CSB
- “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. For you don’t go in, and you don’t allow those entering to go in.” Matthew 23:13 CSB
God had given man His Word, and the world did not receive it. Therefore, the Word came to man.
- “He was in the world, and the world was created through him, and yet the world did not recognize him…The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. We observed his glory, the glory as the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth…No one has ever seen God. The one and only Son, who is himself God and is at the Father’s side — he has revealed him.” John 1:10, 14, 18 CSB
The Word became flesh. Jesus is the incarnation of the Word of God. He came to reveal the Father’s heart. He came to bear witness to the truth. He came to correct man’s misinterpretation of the Word. He came as the light of life, the revelation of God, the living Word! He was the Bible in human flesh. This is why the Bible is unlike any other book in the world. It did not originate from man. The Bible originated from the heart of God, and it was confirmed by the life of Jesus Christ!
You cannot believe in Jesus Christ and dismiss the Bible. They are one and the same. To believe in Jesus Christ is to believe in His Word. To dismiss the Word is to dismiss Jesus Christ.
- “Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:6-7 CSB
- “Jesus answered, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. The one who doesn’t love me will not keep my words. The word that you hear is not mine but is from the Father who sent me.” John 14:23-24 CSB
It is through the Word, Jesus Christ Himself, that the world was created. It is through the Word, Jesus Christ Himself, that we are saved. It is through the Word, Jesus Christ Himself, that we are set free. When we read the Bible we are hearing the very Word of God, from God, to our hearts. It is alive, powerful, and transformative. No other book can make these claims. No other book is God speaking to His creation!
- “For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. No creature is hidden from him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give an account.” Hebrews 4:12-13 CSB
Lord, thank you for Your Word! Thank you Jesus for bringing the Word to us through Your life. This morning, help me to honor, love, and obey Your Word. May it be my daily bread. May it be my daily delight. Transform my life each day as I abide in Your Word.
- “Instead, his delight is in the Lord’s instruction, and he meditates on it day and night. He is like a tree planted beside flowing streams that bears its fruit in its season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.” Psalms 1:2-3 CSB
In Jesus Name!