PSALM 119:49-50: “Remember what you said to your servant, by which you caused me to hope. This is what comforts me in my troubles, that what you say revives me.” (ISV)
OBSERVATION: Does God still speak to us today? Does the Lord only speak to us through the written Word of God, or does He also speak a personal word to our hearts? I believe that the Lord still desires to speak to His children with a personal word. These personal words are never in contradiction with His Written Word, but they are not limited to the Written Word. The New Testament calls these personal words the gift of prophecy.
This prophetic word can come in different ways. It can come through the exercise of a spiritual gift in the church, it can come through the inner revelation, and, although I have never experienced this personally, it can come through an audible voice. The most common way I find the Lord speaking to me is through inner revelation. This inner revelation can come during times of prayer, as we meditate on Scripture, during personal or corporate worship, or simply through the initiation of the Holy Spirit. However it comes, it is for the purpose of bringing us personal edification, exhortation, and comfort.
- “Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.” I Corinthians 14:1-3 NKJV
- “For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.” Romans 8:15-17 NKJV
- “Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,” Ephesians 1:15-17 NKJV
The Good News is – God desires to speak to us today! In fact, He is always speaking. The question is – are we listening? He is speaking to His church corporately. He is speaking to each local congregation. And, He is speaking to each of us individually through the ministry of the Holy Spirit in our lives. And like the Psalmist, it is the Written Word that is our sure foundation, and the Rhema Word (God’s personal word for our lives) that is our personal hope!
- “Remember what you said to your servant, by which you caused me to hope. This is what comforts me in my troubles, that what you say revives me.”
- “Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you will hear His voice,” Hebrews 3:7 NKJV
Lord, thank You for the prophetic word! Thank you that You desire to speak into my life today! Give me ears to hear the sweet whisper of Your Holy Spirit. May I open my heart to the fullness of Your Spirit, while I walk in the wisdom and understanding of Your Written Word!
- “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.” I Thessalonians 5:16-22 NKJV
In Jesus Name!