ZECHARIAH 12:1: “The burden of the word of the LORD against Israel. Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him:”. NKJV
OBSERVATION: Who is God? Does God exist? Why are Christians so adamant that the Bible, the self-defined Word of God, should be the rule and standard for our lives? Is there only one church, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father of us all? (Ephesians 4:4-6).
The prophet Zechariah, speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and prophesying to the remnant of God’s people that had returned to Jerusalem after the Babylonian captivity, introduces them to the one true God. In fact, it is not even Zechariah that is speaking. Zechariah is simply writing the personal introduction of God Himself. It is in these words that we discover who God is and why we need to heed His Word.
- “Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens…”
While man endeavors to understand the universe, to chart the galaxies, and to reach the moon and beyond through space exploration, it is God Himself that set all of this into motion and existence. Every star, every galaxy, every constellation, was formed by His mighty hand. Paul writes in the book of Colossians these words about our Lord.
- “For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.” Colossians 1:16-17 NKJV
The New Living Translation translates verse 17 like this,
- “He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together.”
Not only did God (the Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit) create everything in the heavens – He holds all creation together! Why doesn’t the earth collide with another planet? Why doesn’t the sun scorch the earth? God keeps the entire cosmos together. Man cannot – but He can! Look up into the heavens and see His handiwork. The heavens proclaim that God exists!
- “Thus says the LORD, who…lays the foundation of the earth..”
Not only do the heavens declare the existence of God, but our earth also proclaims His glory and majesty. Take a moment to look out at the massive oceans, the majestic skyline of a mountain range, the beauties of a coral reef, or the wonder of an eagle soaring through the sky. In every sight, one can see the handiwork of Almighty God. Paul declares in the book of Romans,
- “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.” Romans 1:18-20 NKJV
Paul is clear. To dismiss God one stands under the wrath of God. God has declared His nature and existence in the world that we see. A world of majesty and beauty did not happen from an accident of nature. In this world, we see the divine design, order, and the hand of a Creator. Man cannot create or replicate the wonders of what God has done through the power of His hand.
- “Thus says the LORD, who…forms the spirit of man within him…”
One of the greatest arguments and proofs for the existence of God, the reality of eternity, and the truth of God’s Word is- the spirit of man. Ecclesiastes says that God has put eternity in man’s heart. There is a yearning in man for something more than what this physical life can offer. Even the ability to conceive of an eternal life is proof of the Spirit of God’s imprint upon mankind. This has been marred by sin, man’s disobedience to God’s Word and command. However, this spark still exists in all men and is the strongest proof of God’s existence!
- “…For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them ) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.” Romans 2:14-16 NKJV
Paul argues that Gentiles, those who had not received the Word of God as the Jews had, when they do by nature what is written in the Word of God, give evidence to the divine imprint of God in the spirit of man. Without the spirit man is nothing more than mere bones and tissue. It is the spirit that separates mankind from animals. Man is given a spirit from God. This spirit became dead to the things of God through sin. Yet, this spirit can be made alive once again through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord!
- “Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” John 3:3-6 NKJV
When we look into the heavens – we see the evidence of our Creator. When we look at the majesty of this earth – we see the testimony of His handiwork. And, when we look into the heart of man – we see a spirit whose potential is only realized through faith in Jesus Christ. God created the heavens and earth through His Word, and we are born again in our spirit through His Word! There is no other way.
- “…Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, because “All flesh is as grass, And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, And its flower falls away, But the word of the LORD endures forever.” Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you.” I Peter 1:23-25 NKJV
Does God exist? Is His Word true? Is Jesus truly the way, the truth, and the life? Look up into the heavens. Look at this majestic earth. And, look into your heart and see the place of yearning that only He can fill.
Repent of your sins. Give your life to Jesus Christ. Receive Him as your personal Savior and Lord. And – begin to live the life that you were created for!
In Jesus Name!