PSALMS 36:1-4: “Here are the words God has given me to say about the evil ways of anyone who sins. He doesn’t have any respect for God. He praises himself so much that he can’t see his sin or hate it. His mouth speaks words that are evil and false. He has stopped being wise. He has stopped doing good. Even as he lies in bed he makes evil plans. He commits himself to a sinful way of life. He never says no to what is wrong.” (NKJV)
OBSERVATION: Whatever happened to human decency? This is a question that many are asking as they think about the recent protests in our nation, following the 45th Inauguration of the President of the United States. It is not that people have a different opinion, but the way they are expressing this opinion. Rioting, looting, destruction of property, and the disregard for moral restraint. All of these point to something deeper that is taking place in the heart of so many in our society.
This is really not a new phenomenon. I think we are taken back by the brazenness of it, but surely we should not be surprised by the spirit behind it. David writes about this in Psalm 36. It is almost like David is writing an editorial about the recent protests. He addresses it concerning “…anyone who sins”. We are all sinners in need of a Savior, but David is writing about those who sin with abandon, without restraint. What is it that motivates them? What is it that drives them?
The first thing he notes is that they have no respect for God. They do not see the Word of God as sacred, or the authoritative word for all of life and practice. They tend to view religion as a crutch for the weak, and a fading thing of the past. There is no reverence for a creator. Instead they worship things made with human hands, and most importantly, they worship themselves. In Psalm 14 David shows the progression of this disregard for God.
- “Foolish people say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They do all kinds of horrible and evil things. No one does anything good.” Psalm 14:1 NIRV
David’s second point is quite revealing. He writes – “He praises himself so much that he can’t see his sin or hate it.” Paul put it this way in Romans,
- “They know that God’s commands are right. They know that those who do evil things should die. But they continue to do those very things. They also approve of others who do them.” Romans 1:32 NIRV
The old adage is – “misery likes company”. So does sin! When I was young, I wanted to hang around people, who not only did what I did, but approved of what I did. Sin looks for justification for its actions. This is to avoid and block the conviction of the truth. Those who are sinning without restraint become so busy justifying each other’s actions they form an almost impenetrable wall around their hearts. They love the darkness so much, they never come to the light. David warns of the progression of a heart that is being hardened in sin and a disregard for God. He continues in Psalm 36,
- “His mouth speaks words that are evil and false. He has stopped being wise. He has stopped doing good. Even as he lies in bed he makes evil plans. He commits himself to a sinful way of life. He never says no to what is wrong.”
Is there any hope? David answers this question.
- “You have the fountain of life. We are filled with light because you give us light.” Psalm 36:9 NIRV
The only way to fight darkness is with light! The only way to fight death is with life! We will not overcome this battle by withdrawing from the debate, or by our own personal disdain of those who have no disregard for God, and things we hold precious and sacred. We must enter the arena of debate with God’s Love, the Good News of Jesus Christ, and the call to repent and believe the Gospel. This is our call, and this is the only thing that will bring a shift in the present culture wars we are experiencing.
We need another Jesus Movement! Those who disregard God are lost and empty. We must have mercy and compassion, and remember that – SO WERE WE! It is not simply about who is right or wrong, it is about how desperately we need God’s love. There is only one door that leads to God’s love, and that door is Jesus Christ!
We need to get on our knees…and into the streets! We need to get a new pair of shoes…some “Good News” shoes!
- “How can they call on him unless they believe in him? How can they believe in him unless they hear about him? How can they hear about him unless someone preaches to them? And how can anyone preach without being sent? It is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” (Isaiah 52:7)”. Romans 10:14-15 NIRV
In Jesus Name!