I JOHN 4:17-19: “Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.” NKJV
OBSERVATION: Don’t fear! These are words that we all need to hear. We are just days from an election that could forever change the course of our nation. Each day we hear of more people who have contracted the dreaded coronavirus. And, foreign countries try to meddle in our elections as they rattle their sabers to elicit fear in the hearts of our citizens.
Yet, for the believer, above all of the noise, we hear God’s clear and reassuring call – DON’T FEAR!
This is a call to all believers. However, all believers are not heeding this call. Why is this? Satan is the author of fear. He uses every means within his arsenal to get us to forget who we are in Christ and what our true destiny is. We begin to look at this world as our hope. We lose sight of our eternal reward and the promise of God’s love working within us.
Just the other day I spoke with a friend. He is a believer. The conversation revolved around the upcoming election and his fear of what might happen. I tried to reassure him that God was in control. As we do our civic duty, as we vote for our Biblical values, we have to leave the results in God’s hands. We have to remember that He is orchestrating the events of these last days. He has a purpose for our lives. We do not look to governments or candidates for our peace and security. We look to the Lord!
John makes a very powerful statement under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
- “Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.”
God’s love has been poured out upon our hearts through the Holy Spirit. We have been rescued from death into life. We do not fear judgment for we have been fully pardoned by God’s grace through our Lord Jesus Christ. And, just as Jesus walked in the power of God through the Holy Spirit in His earthly ministry, so do we! As He is – so are we in this world. Jesus never succumbed to fear, but fully entrusted His life into the hands of the Father. We are to do the same!
Fear and love are polar opposites. They are like oil and water, they do not mix. If we are walking in love, we are being perfected in our faith. If we succumb to fear, we have forgotten the great love that has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit.
- “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.”
In these uncertain times, how do we overcome our fears? We draw near to God and we allow Him to perfect us in His love. We are perfected in love as we love God and as we love one another. The more we love the less we will fear. When we stand in His presence, when we stand in the glory of His love, fear will never exist in our lives again!
- “And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:3-4 NKJV
Why does God call us to love? He knows that it is the only way we can overcome the fears of life. We are to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. And, we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. Our neighbor includes our enemy. We are to love our enemies and pray for them. We are to share God’s love and point the way to Jesus Christ. Those who are striking out so vehemently on social media are doing so out of fear. Beloved, if we, who have experienced the love of God in Jesus Christ, allow our lights to be dimmed through fear, how will those who are bound in fear ever see the light?
And, so John concluded the fourth chapter with these words.
- “If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.” I John 4:20-21 NKJV
In these last days before the election, in a world that is bound by fear, let us who call upon the name of Jesus show His love. Let us always season our words with grace. Let us speak the truth in love. And, let us remember that…
- “…the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.” II Corinthians 5:14-15 NKJV
Lord, help me to walk in the full assurance of faith. Set me free from fear. Empower me by Your Holy Spirit to love, as You have loved me!
In Jesus Name!