HOSEA 4:1-3: “Hear the word of the Lord, people of Israel, for the Lord has a case against the inhabitants of the land: There is no truth, no faithful love, and no knowledge of God in the land! Cursing, lying, murder, stealing, and adultery are rampant; one act of bloodshed follows another. For this reason the land mourns, and everyone who lives in it languishes, along with the wild animals and the birds of the sky; even the fish of the sea disappear.” CSB
OBSERVATION: What does the world need more than anything? Is it love? Is it peace? Is it economic prosperity? Or, is it something that no one seems to be searching for?
The music industry is filled with songs that try to answer this question. Most songs deal with finding love. If we believe these songs then love is the answer. Yet, love did not solve the unrest of the 1960’s. And, we are watching a repeat of this failed culture unveil before our very eyes. As the world has sung John Lennon’s song “Imagine” countless times, it is still a reality that is increasingly out of reach.
The opening verses of Hosea chapter four sound like the opening headlines from a local cable news show.
- “Cursing, lying, murder, stealing, and adultery are rampant; one act of bloodshed follows another. For this reason the land mourns, and everyone who lives in it languishes, along with the wild animals and the birds of the sky; even the fish of the sea disappear.”
Let’s be honest and face reality head on. The world is in trouble. The culture we live in is not getting better, it is getting worse. The acts of violence that daily take place today were anomalies in the world that I grew up in. Everyone is suffering, including our natural world. What is the answer?
The answer is truth! What the world needs now is truth. Jesus came to declare the truth of God to a dying world. He declared God’s truth and it was for truth that He was crucified. They did not nail Jesus to the cross because He performed miracles, fed 5000, or turned water into wine. They nailed Jesus to the cross because HE WAS TRUTH!
- “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. We observed his glory, the glory as the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14 CSB
- “You are a king then?” Pilate asked. “You say that I’m a king,” Jesus replied. “I was born for this, and I have come into the world for this: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” John 18:37 CSB
We live in a era of “fake” everything. Our politicians constantly lie to push their own agenda rather than working for the benefit of the people. And, many of our religious leaders avoid the difficult subjects of the day because they don’t want to offend anyone. This is exactly the condition that Hosea found himself in. Solomon was right in the book of Ecclesiastes – there is nothing new under the sun!
- “But let no one dispute; let no one argue, for my case is against you priests. You will stumble by day; the prophet will also stumble with you by night. And I will destroy your mother. My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will reject you from serving as my priest. Since you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your sons.” Hosea 4:4-6 CSB
The world stage is being set for the unveiling of the Antichrist. In the vacuum of truth, the world will grow increasingly lost, unable to solve the ills of the day. They will look for a savior who can rescue them from this plight – without truth! Someone who will lead them but not challenge them. Someone who will allow them to continue in their sin while promising them what they desire. If there is any doubt, simply listen to the promises of many of the current presidential candidates.
So what should the believer in Christ do? We cannot bury our heads in the sand. We must stand up for the true Savior who alone can bring peace. First, He brings personal peace through His death and resurrection. Second, He will bring world peace when He returns to rule and reign over this broken world. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. There is no other answer for the brokenness that we see. If we do not stand up for truth then who will?
I believe it is impossible to love without truth. If we know the truth in Christ, if we know the truth that He has proclaimed in the Scriptures, then we must proclaim it. We are not to be insensitive or rude. Jesus was the perfect embodiment of truth and love. Yet, Jesus always spoke the truth. He called sin, sin, and He called the sinner to redemption.
Without exposing sin there is no need to repent. Without repentance there is no salvation. It is the truth that unmasks the lie that binds the sinner and reveals their need for Jesus Christ. And, it the Truth, Jesus Christ, who alone can set the sinner free.
In these last days we cannot be satisfied with preaching a Gospel of peace without repentance, prosperity without sacrifice, and life without the cross. If our message is not causing ripples in the pond then we are not proclaiming the truth. This is not a game. It is the difference between life and death, heaven and hell. And, it is the only way to be prepared and alert for the end times!
Lord, give me the courage and the grace to proclaim Your truth. Help me never to proclaim the truth without a heart that is broken for the lost and filled with Your love. Help me see the world as You see it. Fill me with compassion and an urgency to proclaim the Gospel –
- “Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father but through Him.”
In Jesus Name!